Hi all

James Purser wrote:
I know this isn't really a tech answer to the question (and not knowing
what UTS IT is like) have you considered asking the network guys what is
and isn't blocked?
Well it ain't UTS related work so i wasn't going to use their time for that question. It's a full open-source library application for the Royal Society of NSW.
Application: http://www.koha.org
For: http://nsw.royalsoc.org.au

Matthew wrote
I'd just give up and proxy your search app through apache
on port 80/443.  Restrictions on port access are pretty widespread.
Ohhh... that all very new stuff to me but then that's why I ask so I can get other ideas and then go and google on them. Thanks.

What is the search app on?  Tomcat?  I've found mod_jk
pretty easy to get working, but you can also use
mod_proxy.  mod_proxy also has specific support for tomcat's
protocol (ajp13).
It's Perl with some html templates. Not using mod_perl.
Written by some NZ guys and it's open source.

I just used "Shields Up" which was mentioned on here a few days ago and did a lookie at UTS (I hadn't thought of that when I did the post). There are many ports that I might use. But if there is something open at UTS then it might be closed somewhere else. This admin interface of this app will have to be used by me from UTS, another person from CSIRO and a person at Syd Uni. Seems like 8080 is allowed by most places and much else blocked.

Mike
--
Michael Lake
Science Faculty, UTS