Mary Cudmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered the following thing:

> 1. Have 802.11b/g wireless networking set up and working on your laptop
> 2. Go to a wifi hotspot
> 3. Check out available networks
> 4. Select the hotspot (no encryption, this is supposed to be real easy
> ..), you'll be connected with DHCP.
> 5. Open your browser and try and go somewhere. You'll get a redirect to
> a "Hi: seriously dude, you gotta pay first" page with the options on the
> page I've referenced above.
> 6. Set up your payment and hotspot away. Make freaky noises in a public
> place when you get a return sms telling you how much it cost - oh wait,
> that was just me, and I wasn't even paying for the mobile.

I usually stop after step 5, and take this route:

6. Fire up kismet, look for an open AP. (or run "iwlist scan")

6a. No local AP? Either walk around for better reception or decide if i
    *really* need to get online.

7. Connect to, and use open AP.

Most hotspots are ridiculously priced - at a hotel recently I found a
provider wanting the equivalent of $20 for 15 mins of access!
One kismet later and I was on a free AP.

BB