On Thursday 01 June 2006 20:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 June 2006 17:46, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Hi to one and all,
> > > Could some kind people explain how i can set up passwords on a Suse10.0
> > > box acting as a server?
> > > Samba is sharing the filesystems but requires some password to access
> > > the data.
> > > If i log on as fred with a password frenonserver1, should i be able to
> > > login. I can login and pickup e-mail but that is about all.
> > > Clicking the devices icon on Mandriva 2006.0 shows the samba system.
> > > clicking on samba shares, opens the server shared files, but i need a
> > > password to go further.
> > > Neither the root or user login password works. I cannot find anywhere
> > > in the Yast system to create samba users.
> > >
> > > I am the only user on the system and only one set of passwords,user
> > > names is used.
> > > Any help will be greatfully received.
> >
> > Gerald
> > use yast -> network services -> samba services
> > Setup public shares so you need no passwd to access them
> >
> > /home/bla is automatically passworded to your user's passwd
> >
> > IF you are accessing 'network neighbourhood' from winders you will need
> > to set smbpasswd as root:
> > smbpasswd -a joesoap
> > to access your desktop
> >
> > James
>
> Thanks James,
> I did that at the start and expected to be able to mount the shares on the
> W/S, but the W/S cannot mount the server shares.
> I should mention these are both 64 bit systems. I am beginning to wonder if
> 64 bit is a shambles and i should try 32bit??

Gerald
I don't have any complaints from customers with Win64, but I don't KNOW it's
OK. My SuSE AMD64 serves samba shares without any issues.
I'd suggest create a public smb share, say /tmp.
If you can't access that you need to solve the problem. When you can then
resolve the passwords.
Also konqueror -> network will show the shares. Here's a jpg
http://tigger.ws/kss.jpg and uname

Linux tigger 2.6.16.13-4-smp #1 SMP Wed May 3 04:53:23 UTC 2006 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

James