On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 22:29 +1000, elliott-brennan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm configuring a machine for a friend who has
> dial-up. I've had broadband for donkeys and have
> never used dial-up on a Linux machine. I've
> installed Ubuntu 5.10 with KDE and my reading
> indicates that KPPP is the easy way to set-up
> dial-up modems.
Yes KPPP is nice, I prefer the "networking" option in Ubuntu (dont know
if it is shared in Kubuntu) but KPPP will do the job fine. I use to use
it 2 years ago before I had the benifit of ADSL or gnome.

> I'm looking for advice regarding purchasing a
> modem for her.  Should I purchase one that
> connects to a serial port? Are these easier to set-up?
My prefered modem is an internal Hardware modem, it simply appears as
ttyS0 and is used the same as an external, these however are hard to
find. I would use a winmodem that had a lucent chipset, but probably
would not recommend it to a newbie. The easiest and safest way though,
is an external modem.

Beware!! Not all external modems are hardware modems, which means they
will not all work with Linux. I dont know when this trend began, but
there are a number of external modems these days that rely on software
just like winmodems. Two external modems that I have used and have
worked well were the swann FLASH modem and a Netcomm Mega i Modem, but
there should be plenty that work fine. Best idea, like with all hardware
destined for Linux, is to take a live cd and test it before leaving the
store.

All the best

Tuxta