Michael Lake wrote:

>> So, the current problem is finding FOSS or affordable software to do
>> this good gis work. I have recently been through FOSS offerings, many
>> and scattered functionality and it looks like a write your own situation.
>

> Look at GRASS. It's a FOSS GIS.
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/index.php
> It's also available in a Debian package.

How is it's vector aspects now?
Good for carto yet?
When I last looked at it, it was yes/no for a tick in a grid to indicate
coverage, i.e. this species exists here type thing with accurracy
determined by grid details, then thin lines for linear features (roads,
contours, etc).
Must look again anyway.

> However one problem for your bicycling will remain - access to high
> resolution maps. The Aust Gov. has decided that even though we as tax
> payers have paid for mapping high res maps are only available at a large
> $ cost. I have a similar problem in that I want topo maps for plotting
> cave locations onto. The GIS software is there for Linux but not the data.

For the Around Australia stuff, I have inherited a set of "aging" topo
maps, which could be chunk scanned, co-ordinate converted (AMG66 -> Geo)
and act as a base, aka GE. Totally frustrated that I can not locate
software to do this without $$$$$.

The data $$$$ is a major hinderance. Australia was in the forefront of
GIS development until this started biting. This government policy is
holding us back in lots of areas.

--
     This message is copyright and may not be re-transmitted
     in any form without the prior written permission of the

     Help give a clueby to undereducated people by siharing
     these email address around.

     <insert private and work emails of past slug committee,
     web and list personell. Hey, if you canshare mine,
     then I can share yours {:-)}}}}>