* On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:33:47PM +1000, Luke Kendall wrote:
> AFAIK, no Linux distro is considered quite safe to upgrade from one
> release to the next (e.g. from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0, or FC 4 to FC 5).

Uhhh, how about Debian (and variants like Ubuntu)? Upgrading is very
safe, and if you have doubts about a particular package, you can always
pin it and do the upgrade at a later stage. Any problems I've had have
usually been caused by software that was installed manually rather than
thru a package.

> I must be one of the few people on the planet still running RH 7.2.
> (I do it because I begrudge spending the days or weeks getting all the
> extra packages installed that I like.)  But it's now too old, and
> really should be replaced.

I think all Linuxes (even Debian) would have issues when doing such a
large version increase; in Debian would be solveable but take a fair
bit of work. If you've got different partions (eg /home, /var) it can be
easier to reinstall and keep your existing data on these separate
partions.

--
Sonia Hamilton. GPG key A8B77238.
.