You can use genkernel (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml) in
gentoo to automatically generate the configs, compile and install the
kernel in gentoo (although i prefer to roll my own), debian has
packages with the updated kernels which you can install, or you can
install the source files and roll your own.

In case you haven't noticed, one of the good things about gentoo is
its documentation.

BTW, what approach do these upgradable distros take to installing new
kernels?  I.e. keeping the right modules available and matched to the
kernel that's booting, and allowing older kernels to stay in the boot
config?

--
Menno Schaaf aka ginji
irc.austnet.org #gentoo #linux-help