On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:55:16PM +1000, Carlo Sogono wrote:
> I would like to find out how Linux distributes processes in an
> SMP-enabled box with n CPUs. Will the kernel "move" a process from one
> CPU to another if another CPU is idle?

It may do.  Keeping processes close to where they last run is called
CPU affinity, and is obviously better for the cache.  See the man
pages for sched_[set|get]affinity for the Linux interface for binding
to CPUs.

On a larger machine you also need to control node locality, for that
you can use libnuma and numactl, which should come with your
distribution.

-i