Metrics wrote:
On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:33:44AM +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
* On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 04:19:21PM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
1) How to setup a firewall in ubuntu? It seems suitable iptables settings do work but that's awefully primitive. This article did not help http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/26/1556259 (no lokkit or guarddog can be found by apt-get)
I use shorewall [1], basically a perl wrapper on iptables. Easy to
config with a collection of files in /etc/shorewall, and very flexible -
from a single laptop to a large network.

[1] http://www.shorewall.net

If you want something simple, firehol is pretty good. Debian (and
therefore probably Ubuntu) has a bunch of example config files that are
really easy to use. The advantage to say shorewall (although things may
have changed) is that with fussy protocols like SMB, you just enable it
and it works, where as I found with shorewall that you needed to worry
about traffic directions and such. It also lets you do NATting and stuff
extremely simply.

In the current release, to block or permit SMB traffic, all you do in "rules" is you
do "SMB/REJECT" or "SMB/ACCEPT". The macros are in /usr/share/shorewall.
You can make up macros for any service.

O Plameras