Ben Buxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Documentation, documentation, documentation (sorry, mr chair)
>
> I started with defaults and every single change I made from the
> default box was documented, often just by copying the changed config
> file to a USB stick. Copies of all non-default packages and non-default
> files are saved there. Where possible, I made changes to only
> "user-editable" files rather than primary files. Also, i update a list
> of all these changes and their purpose, so I know what i've done and
> why.
>
> This means that I should be able to easily upgrade - just install then
> re-copy the packages and config files over from the backup.

That's a little different to a desktop, I have no problems configuring
apache, samba, asterisks, quagga, whatever, but choose not to tweak my
desktop. I used to modify sawfish, add hotkeys and a whole bunch of
bash aliases and functions, etc. I just got sick of seeing things like
"bash: ll: command not found" when I'd jump on a different box, and I
got sick of upgrading sawfish and starting from scratch.

My current distro works how I want it to work out of the box. I don't
think that's a coincidence, either, I think a lot of thought and some
testing went in to it. Somethings might have been different at the
start, but now it all feels natural, quick and productive out of the
box.

> No need to stick to defaults - just remember to document everything that
> is changed.

Docuwhat?