Voytek Eymont wrote:
Dion,

as far as I recall, it's 'IDE : Two Ultra DMA66 ports'
what limitations does that pose ?

UDMA66 is only good for 66 MB/s transfer rates.

If your hard disk is brand new, it most likely supports ATA133 (133MB/s) so it's
capable of higher transfer rates than your motherboard supports.

If you only have this one drive then I doubt the ATA transfer rate is likely to bite. If you were building some kind of raid array with a number of drives then it might
make a difference.

Mostly if anything, I'm thinking only the size of your hard drive might cause problems
if your bios didn't support one that large.

One option you may try, is to go into your bios on that machine and making sure you select an ide device not currently in use, try choosing to manually set the number of cylinders / heads and so forth as listed on your drive and see if the bios reports the correct size. On an award bios, the size is shown as you enter the values for the cylinders / heads etc.

If you get the correct size then have a strong indication that its likely to work correctly.

Cheers.
D.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by
incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte