On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 12:38:54PM +1000, ashley maher wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion the way I manage bind really isn't the way
> to go.
>
> So I've done some "googling" this morning and found some "interesting
> results".

Care to share?

> But I've learned the hard way what looks good can often lead to "I wish
> I knew that when I started."
>
> So I thought it'd be a good idea to start by asking people what they're
> using.
>
> I'd prefer something working with bind9, database backended, able to
> handle many hundreds of zone files, and multiple dns servers, web
> interface.
>
> Ideas and suggestions appreciated. vi, and hand written zone files are
> no longer really cutting it.

I actually have had no experience with it but
hostdb (http://www.everythingsysadmin.com/hostdb/)
sounds good.

Paper about it at
        "HostDB: The Best Damn host2DNS/DHCP Script Ever Written"
        http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa05/tech/limoncelli.html

The author is a well known unix/internet guy and the author
of a couple of excellent sysadmin type books.

Also a speaker at sage-au 2006:

http://conf.sage-au.org.au/speakers.html#limoncellibio

--
Regards,