At 12:08 PM 27/07/2006, O Plameras wrote:
Martin Barry wrote:
oh, that's a whole can of worms right there.

time to convergance varies from network to network:
- number of eBGP & iBGP talkers
- number of feeds and size of feeds
- underlying hardware (CPU intensive)

BGP works well on Cisco4500s and Cisco7000s.

Cisco4500s and Cisco7000s runs on Motorola and RISC CPUs
respectively and are 1980s technologies. Yet, they are
considered the leaders in handling BGP routing.

Eww ... old :)

Now, BGPs run on Linux, for example, http://www.zebra.org and
http://www.quagga.net. Linux runs on PC platforms which are
constantly enhanced in terms of CPU speeds.

It will be interesting to test out convergence of BGP on these
Linux platforms, specifically and performance in general,
then compare with Cisco platforms.

Just thinking loud.

Not Linux I know, but FOSS nonetheless, there is also OpenBGPD (http://www.openbgpd.org/ ) from the OpenBSD crew. We (the former Comindico) were getting a proposal together to run a test of OpenBGPD as a multi-hop eBGP peer, to take the load of our customers instead of distributing the full table across every edge device that needed to speak BGP.

cheers,
Rob