the absence of a number may encourage the person attacking
to be more general in their approach. which increase server load
etc. so if there is a version number, they may not bother.

but as has been pointed out, the reliability of the dist
info is questionable as it can be faked. also, most attacked
(on small sites) are usually just scripts which will unintelligently
try everything and move on.

on the *DOWN SIDE* of removing versions and dists, it may make
assertaining the version harder for the administrator. which
in turn may lul the client into a false sense of security
in that with or without the version number present, the software
will still be vulnerable to the same attacks. if you do do an
audit, having the version numbers may (most likely will)
uncover much larger (and indeed, serious) vulernabilities in
dated software.

Dean