Worked fine for me. Twice. I'm using Debian Sid, and I just ran the
wineinstall file present in /usr/share/doc/wine/. Well, at least that's
all I remember for now. I just redid it and there doesn't seem to be any
additional files in my original wine copy. I have winecfg set to
emulate a windows 2000 machine. Not much else I can think of.

Byrin