fwiw

some places may also recommend 'crontab -e' which will spin you off
into an editor to edit your users crontab file.

user crontab's are totally handy, but do tend to be forgotten
(by myself at least) when searching for why something funny is
going on.

for your shutdown situation, i agree with simon on putting
it into /etc/crontab

Dean

Simon Bowden wrote:

No, it must be crontab.

cron.daily is for generic "make sure it runs at least once a day", with no specific time.

crontab is where the crontab(8) format entries with specific times and users etc live.

Cheers,

 - Simon