Thanks for all your help - I gave up and re-installed a new flavour, in the end - PCLinuxOS, which I am extremely pleased with thus far.  And, if you don't mind a fast learning Linux/wi-fi/OOP/security enthusiast from Melb joining, I think SLUG sounds heaps better than MLUG.  Hey - I have cousins in Roseville and Concorde, so if there's a job at the end of my Masters in Sydney - Would I relocate?  Would I ever - Zounds!
Thanks for all your help on my entry level problem.  Fantastic!  Oh - anyone think a thread discussing the realities of the Cyber project which is key to the Dr Who storyline currently airing on the ABC>Linux has already beaten MS in the UN's global OLPC project, and they have zero local storage at all, complete Network terminals.  It's a stretch, but it could be an interesting topic.
Cheers
HAV