On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:58:45AM +1000, Peter Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 11:22 +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:14:40AM +1000, Peter Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> > wrote:
> > > Is there any elegant way to have a laptop DHCP client have its sendmail
> > > configured properly?  In all the cases I have to deal with, my laptop is
> > > a DHCP client is behind a NAT firewall.
> >
> > in sendmail.mc:
> >
> >   define(`SMART_HOST',`YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER')
> >
> > then do a make in /etc/mail and restart sendmail
>
> I'm not getting it, this morning.
>
> In my case, the value of YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER depends on which
> firewall I'm behind, since all the ISPs in question gate client
> connections as being from their own customers' IP addresses, not the
> whole Internet.  So one size definitely doesn't fit all.
>
> Are you suggesting I need to edit sendmail.mc every time I boot the
> machine?  Is there a way to automagically have the DHCP client daemon
> run a script to do it, instead?  Has this already been done, in a Debian
> package?  How does the script get the right value for
> YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER from the DHCP server?

Well, because sendmail starts AFTER the network is up and
by then you know your IP address you could write a little
script that changes (sed and awk) the sendmail.mc
file and issues a "make" in /etc/mail, and when
sendmail starts it knows the smarthost.

Alternatively you can re-write the /etc/rc.d/init/sendmail
in a way that when starting you have
after

  prog="sendmail"

but before

  "start() {"

something like this:

cd /etc/mail
echo "1. mail1.domain1.com"
echo "2. mail1.domain2.com"
echo "3. mail1.domain3.com"
echo "4. mail1.domain4.com"
read -p "what smarthost do you want?" -n 1 key
if [[ $key = 1 ]]; then
  echo "copying sendmail.mc file for smarthost 1
  cp sendmail.mc.1 sendmail.mc
elif [[ $key = 2 ]]; then
  echo "copying sendmail.mc file for smarthost 2
  cp sendmail.mc.2 sendmail.mc
fi

make clean
make
newaliases
cd /etc/rc.d/init

sendmail.mc.X have to have different smarthosts of course.

done!

--
"XP: If you are nine years old you are just going to love it.  If you're a few
years older you'll resent the choking paternalistic atmosphere of vapid

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia