On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 09:53 +1000, john gibbons wrote:
> Any help here would be appreciated.
>
> I had XP and Dapper working together on a partitioned drive. XP decided
> it would not boot any more because of a missing file. So I reinstalled
> it on its own previous drive partition leaving Ubuntu's untouched.  Now
> on boot up I am offered only this unattractive choice: I can select XP
> or I can select XP. Yes, it lists itself twice. No other option.
>
> Can I do something to get Ubuntu back as an option at boot up time or
> must I now reinstall it?
>
> John.

It's a pretty common prob, windows likes nuking boot-loaders.

You've gotta get grub reinstalled. The easiest way I've found is:

1. boot using a live cd.
2. mount your ubuntu partition(s)
3. chroot to where you mounted ubuntu
4. run grub-install to reinstall your boot-loader

You should be fine. There's plenty of help around on the man pages etc,
or this list if you need :)

-Andrew