On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:33:47 +1000 (EST)
"Voytek Eymont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric,

Who's this Eric guy? :-)

> I guess I meant 'single-purpose utilities that can be easily expoited like
> so' :
>
> 'some_app file_url'
>
> through a web server vulnerability to easily deposit exploits

In Perl, Python and Ruby writing a simple app that does what wget does
is no more than 10 lines of really trivial code.

> I'm guessing that if I do NOT have wget/curl/lynx/links available, next
> time  a cms has such an expoitable hole, I'll reduce my exposure, no ??

No. it won't. You need to run this in a chroot jail or a User Mode Linux
or something like that.

> if I remove or rename wget/curl/lynx/links from my server, apart from
> ocassional inconvience to me, that won't cause me issues ?

Its goes such a small way to solving the problem that its probably
not worth it.

You would be better off making sure your machine is running a current
version of your chosen distro (what are you running btw?) and then
exploring chroot/UML/Xen/whatever solutions.

Erik