Christopher Martin wrote:
Anywhere I should be looking to find what's causing the lock? I haven't used
a Linux with X in about 7 years now so I am pretty much a newb in that
respect, to the point I don't even know how to get a text shell instead of
X.

Boot standalone (give the "s" option at the end of the Linux command
line in Grub) by pressing "e" for edit option, "e" for edit line,
End Space s, "b" for boot).

Update to most recent packages (big)
  service network start
  yum update

Now try it, "shutdown -r -f now"

If it still locks solid then you want to know what bastard process
it was.  With luck its thrown its hands up with a message.  There
are a couple of ways you can get to that -- serial console is probably
still the simplest at this point in time.

With no luck you'll need to run process auditing to the serial console
or something else utterly obscene.