Well - you try to login as user "Administrator" on the Linux box, and you
say you don't have such a user so how do you expect this to work?

I actually didn't specify a username, it defaulted to Administrator. I was
thinking this was something that cygwin was doing. I did try specifying
root, but that wasn't working either.

Maybe root is specifically forbidden from logging in directly through ssh
("PermitRootLogin no" in sshd_config), which is generally a good
thing(TM).

Yeah, but, no. I can log in as root via ssh. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

And it just magically started working so I can log in with rsync now as
well.
Why it would work now and not before I have no idea, hence the confusion.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the logs and see what happened.

Cheers,
Michael