I am sure someone has thought about this.

Why don't we have apt-bittorrent.  I would be happy to participate if
the setup could be set so I could permanently seed any packages in my
package directory with my off-peak data rate and rational throttling.

Ubuntu / debian provides the tracker and a seed, and then the swarm
takes over and if you wanted to mirror, eg Optus, you simply become a
seed yourself.

The apt tracker would have entries for every valid package (valid being
stable, testing, unstable) you would simply connect to the 'known'
tracker for that package and BT download it.

--
Ken Foskey
FOSS developer