I don't know how much spam is getting caught on my local filter (I use
gmail), but I find one type of spam is consistently getting through, and
that's the spam that has usually a single random word as the subject, an
image containing the spam, followed by several lines of random words, and
sentences, brocken only by spaces.  I belive Jeff was working on the image
spam filters.  How is comming along Jeff? :-)

Another idea I just came up with, was to attach a link to the bottom of each
email labeled "report spam" or something, which pings the mail servers, and
when it receives say, 3 hits, it will black list the user, or if your
feeling adventurous, dynamically alter the spam rules, after scanning for,
and cataloging the patterns in the message. :-]  ...or mabye not.

- Andreas

On 11/3/06, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

T Murray wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I currently moderate the slug-chat list - heaps of spam gets killed
> every day before it hits the digest.  While new spam is being blocked
> old mail rules are allowing spam through into the lists.
>
> The only real solutions that I see are: (1) edit all existing mail
> rules to ensure integrity, or more drastically (2) Remove all
> subscribers from the lists and have a re-subscription period for all
> real members.

A variation on this theme - identify all subscriber who have posted in
the past, say 3 posts in 6 months, then kill off the subscription list
and just resubscribe from that selection, all others having to
resubscribe manually.  That way the active subscribers don't have to do
anything and the spurious subscribers will get binned.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannetlinux.com>