On 13/11/06, Matthew Hannigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pretty much everything keeps symlinks, cpio, tar, dump.

Just taking this opportunity to try to satisfy my curiosity.

I was wondering what's the state of dump(8) in the current world of multiple
file system types, a quick Google came up with the following at the top of
the list, it's dated circa 2002:

"The ext2fs/ext3fs dump utility is officially declared deprecated by
Linus Torvalds..."

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2002-07/0501.html

Other links from Google point to dump format-dependency - you can't dump a
ext3fs filesystem and be able to restore it directly onto, say, an XFS or
JFS filesystem.

Besides - is there any sense in using dump these days? It made sense back
when dump was much faster than tar/cpio by avoiding running namei on each
file and when large multi-user machines were taken down to single user mode
for a backup (I'm talking about the VAX/CCI and 4.2BSD days). But does it
make sense in today's context, with filesystem snapshots and always-on
desktops?

I wouldn't consider this as an option but since you mentioned it I wonder if
there is a situation where it's justifiable to use it.

Cheers,

--P