On 16/11/06, Peter Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to get the names of the various map sheets
from the web, while looking at a map?

E.g. a Google Maps mashup which shows the 1:1M, 1:250K, 1:100K and 1:50K
map sheet names (and boundaries) under the cursor?

Can't give you the direct answer but point you to some resources where you
should find it (I've seen such a thing before but didn't keep the link):

1. googlemapsmania.blogspot.com - tracks lots of mashup's and web apps built
on top of google maps. The links section on the right goes forever but it
should be worth the patience to sort through it and the blog entries.
2. http://www.programmableweb.com/ - a more general site about what's called
"Web 2.0" - it lists all known public web-based API's and many sites which
use them. It's much more structured than the gmapsmania weblog but might
also require more accurate search terms.

On a more general note - http://www.google.com/apis/maps/ - the home of the
Google Maps API. It contains lots of documentation and gives a link to a
pretty active Google Groups forum about using the API. Mind you, if you are
into writing your own application then last time I checked the better
tutorials where actually writen by people outside google.

Good luck.

--P