* Sonia Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thus:
> I'm thinking of learning Ruby - is there an easy way of running Perl and
> Python code/libraries from Ruby? I've googled and browsed manuals in
> Dymocks Library ^H^H^H Bookshop, can't seem to find an answer.

on a quick google, this is the closest thing I could find for perl:
http://www.yoshidam.net/perl_en.txt

again - I've never used it and haven't read through it - but I guess
it's a start for you :)

> Reason I ask is that I want to learn Ruby for Ruby on Rails, but there's
> so much good stuff in the existing Perl and Python libraries/cpan.

true - though if you're using Rails I'd recommend you check if a library
already exists in Rails first (a given, really).

> (Yes I know about Python/Django, but Rails seems to have better
> doco/manuals at the moment).

Absolutely - and it's a dream to work with for web-app development.
Besides-which, if you're using Rails, you at least know that most fo the
Ruby community is behind Rails. Compare with the current joke that
there are more web-development frameworks than keywords in Python ;)

Cheers,
Taryn

--
Let there be lights!