Hi gang

I've been having some trouble with Samba I can't seem to work out myself, and I was hoping someone can help.

The setup I have for web work is a Windows 2000 desktop (for Dreamweaver, Ultraedit, Firefox+IE+Opera, and so on) and a debian dev/test server with Apache and Perl (just simple CGI in this case, but it varies).

To work on the files I mount a Samba share as a Windows drive, and just edit everything directly on the Linux box (the apps are all set to use Unix newlines etc). I can save/reload to see changes, and I generally have half a dozens shell open on the box, and various other infrastructure so that the who boxes work more like one hybrid machine than two separate ones (in a previous incarnation they were even duck-taped together).

This workflow has worked really well for me for a number of years, but I always have trouble fiddling the samba setup to the right place.

For some reason, saving from the Windows box seems to reset the permissions of the files. And in this particular case, that also means 644 (and thus not world-readable so nobody can do the CGI).

Now, I assume that Windows is doing something funky and delete/write'ing the file instead of overwriting the file.

Could someone with more samba-fu than I explain if there's a way to make these file writes behave themselves and maintain whatever permissions they currently have?

Adam K