Stephen Black wrote:
I have installed Suse Linux on my new computer with a Realtek RTL8111B ethernet controler.

I have not had any success in connecting to the net

I don't yet have a broadband account but I have noticed that the phone line will connect to the ethernet port (RJ45) and I was wondering if I could use the port to dial into the internet

Hi,

Unless I have very much misunderstood what you are saying here, if you don't have broadband and don't have a dial up modem you can plug in to that computer (plugging the phone line in to the ethernet port won't do much good), then you're not going to have much luck getting that box connected to the net.

If you have a dialup account on another PC have you tried connecting that modem to the linux box? Failing that (ie, if it's an internal modem), how about getting a small ethernet hub, connecting the two computers together and sharing the internet connection that way?

Craig