On 12/5/06, Stephen Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My fathter wants an inexpensive computer which will connect to an ADSL
broadband connection, He also wants to do video editing so it has to have
some reasonable specs.

Define "inexpensive".

You can buy complete PC's from Dell these days for less than $800 if
you happen to pick up an internet special - of course, they're all
WindoZe pre-installed, but that doesn't mean you can't install Linux
on them. Most other places will do a decent setup for around $1000 -
less if you don't need a monitor. You can build one yourself for
$600-$700 if you know where to go to get parts. How much do you want
to spend?

Video editing and inexpensive are almost direct contradictions - most
"inexpensive" machines use shared memory for the video card, and
that's not a good thing to be editing video streams on.

Where can I get an inexpensive (I think it will have to be Linux) computer?
Or how can I get some broadband connectivity on  8 year old x86
architecture? (even if it's not Linux Compatable)

You can get broadband connectivity on almost anything - all the
machine needs is a network card and suitable software so you can plug
it into the modem/router used to connect to the broadband link.

DaZZa