Voytek Eymont wrote:
> On Wed, December 6, 2006 10:00 pm, Ben Buxton wrote:
>> Voytek Eymont wrote:
>
>>> can I clone a running system ?
>> Yes, you can.
>
> Ben, thanks for detailed info
>
> what I really meant to ask, was 'can I copy/clone a running systems whilst
> it's in normal operation'; I gather the answer is 'no'

Definitely not. Files that are open for writing might get changed after
they're copied, breaking stuff or leading to duplicate
mail/logs/billing/etc.

It's always important to make sure the filesystem you're copying is not
going to be changed mid-copy - either mount read-only or be really sure
that no process will write to it - in which case a readonly mount can be
done anyway.

BB