O Plameras wrote:
Ben Leslie wrote:
On Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 16:52:21 +1100, O Plameras wrote:
*snip*
I have first, second, and third editions. I have the third edition in front of me.

The book covers the technical process. Unfortunately, it does not cover the bureaucratic processes. The processes not covered by the book is the one that I am revealing to you.

For example, technically aarnet.edu.au can propagate up to the ROOT Servers.

Technically aarnet.edu.au doesn't need to propagate anything "up" to
the ROOT servers. That is not the way DNS works, rather the client
contacts the ROOT servers and then goes down from there (ignoring any
caching).

So really, aarnet.edu.au doesn't need to propagate anything at all.

Do you mean once aarnet.edu.au enters www.example.aarnet.edu.au IN A 203.7.132.1 it will be propagated ? This is wrong. aarnet.edu.au is only a branch in the DNS trees. What does aarnet.edu.au has to do to propagate ? If you can answer this last question
correctly then we can proceed with the discussion.

How does a query propagate? Well, to paraphrase Section 2.6.2 of that book that's right in front of you(*):

- The local nameserver gets a request for www.example.aarnet.edu.au. It doesn't know where this is, but it does know where all the root nameservers are. So it picks one of those and asks it. - The root nameserver says, no, I have no idea where www.example.aarnet.edu.au is. But I do have this list of nameservers that are authoritative for the .au domain, maybe one of them can help you. The local nameserver picks one, and sends the query for www.example.aarnet.edu.au to it. - The .au nameserver says, no, I have no idea where www.example.aarnet.edu.au is. But I do have this list of nameservers that are authoritative for the edu.au domain, maybe one of them can help you. The local nameserver picks one, and sends the query for www.example.aarnet.edu.au to it. - The edu.au nameserver says, no, I have no idea where www.example.aarnet.edu.au is. But I do have this list of nameservers that are authoritative for the aarnet.edu.au domain, maybe one of them can help you. The local nameserver picks one, and sends the query for www.example.aarnet.edu.au to it.

Do you see where this is going? The query keeps propagating down different levels until it finally hits a server who says "Ooo! I *know* this one!" and replies.

It sounds like a lot of traffic, but the local nameserver also caches all of those replies it got along the way to resolving that query. So if the next query it gets is for, say, www.monash.edu.au, the local nameserver will say "I don't know where that is, but I've already got this list of .edu.au nameservers that is still fresh in my cache, I'll ask one of those".

In a perfect world, the root servers wouldn't get that much traffic at all, really, thanks to caching. But there's a *lot* of poorly configured nameservers out there. http://www.bind9.net/dnshealth/ makes the claim that 98% of queries to the root servers are unnecessary, and is full of lots of other interesting DNS-related factoids.

Anyway, the point of all of this is, *all* of the propagation in DNS happens downwards. The root nameservers seriously don't know the first thing about subdomains of aarnet.edu.au, and you can verify this by sending a non-recursive query to one (using the +norecurse option to dig, for example). Not only do they not know whether a particular subdomain exists, they really don't care whether the object it resolves to (not all DNS records are IP addresses...) belongs to the domain owner, or Dexter Plameras, or whether it even exists on the public Internet at all.

I desperately hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

* I have the fourth edition. May be slightly different for others.

Cheers,
--
Pete