If it exists in your area, the best you can hope for is cable.

This is pretty fast down, pretty slow up.

But if you aren't running a home webserver or doing a lot of bittorrenting, it should be just fine.

At least _I_ think it's just fine... compared to the 100Mb-ethernet-to-the-bedroom I had at university (the perk of being the network sysadmin at the college) all this stuff is "slow" anyway.

Personally I don't find the difference between cable and ADSL very large, and the cable is MUCH MUCH MUCH more reliable. As in "I've only ever heard of one person that has ever had trouble" reliable.

And I can get 1Mb a second to my server in the US, so that's everything I need ok :)

Adam K

Sonia Hamilton wrote:
(slightly OT...)

Is there a way of getting ADSL at home without paying for a landline? I
use my mobile for everything, and don't use the landline but am paying
for it to run ADSL on.

I know there's things like wireless from http://www.unwired.com.au/, but
to get decent downloads the costs would work out the same.