On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:53:26AM +1000, Gerald wrote:
> On Thursday December 14 2006 21:47, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 08:43:40PM +1000, Gerald wrote:
> > > Do any Sluggers know how to get 4 x sata drives working on this mother
> > > board with Linux or Indeed any O/S?
> > > When i add a drive beyond 2 the system gets screwed up.
> >
> > Screwed up how?  Error messages / details please!
> >
> > > I am not sure if it is a power supply problem (500W) or just a mother
> > > board problem.
> >
> > 500W is plenty

Reading around, it seems that this board doesn't do staggered power-up
of drives, so it's possible that four drives draw a LOT of power
at startup.  Also, do you actually have two vid cards (SLI).  That
raises the power requirement a lot of course.  So I'm not
so sure about the power any more.

The first google for "A8N-SLi Asus bios four drives" brings
up an article called "double trouble"[1] which details very poor
performance with four drives.   So it could be a power or
bios thing. i.e. not just linux.
Have you tried it under Windows?

A couple of suggestions:
. upgrade the bios
. try another/bigger power supply.  power output it says 500w
        but does it lie?  is it good quality?

Matt
[1] http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1838318,00.asp