Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Phil Scarratt wrote:

Places always say they want all this stuff and generally never use anything beyond email.

In my first job (2 jobs ago) as an IT consultant we used synchronized Exchange calendars as religiously as email. All appointments scheduled for us were sent via email and placed in the calendar by a project coordinator. When clients called to schedule on-site calls, all the coordinator needed to do was look at our calendars and book them in an empty slot. The rule of the company was if you have nothing in that Exchange time slot, it means you're free...so every time you had something on, you *must* put it in the calendar regardless of whether it's business-related or not. This system has worked incredibly well for us, and everything was so organised...no one missed meetings or could say "oh I didn't know".

- requirements are generally:
        + email
        + private and shared calendars

A lovely idea, nearly always implemented wrong so it doesn't work. I worked at one place (one of Australia's most famous dot.bombs) where the clocks on all the computers were wrong by up to ten minutes and the computers were locked down so much individual users couldn't change their own clocks. So you'd have people arriving to meetings over a period of twenty minutes.

Now I work at an all-Linux company. If you didn't have admin rights (as in Ubuntu admin being able to sudo), you wouldn't be able to change the time either.

I regularly get global emails at my current work saying that the resource-booking system is broken and to use bits of paper stuck to the doors of the meeting rooms instead.

        + sync to PDA (typically a Windows one of course)

Who really ever does this?

We're seeing a huge surge in Blackberry usage. Again in the same job I spoke of earlier we had Blackberry phone PDA's synchronizing with Exchange. If you were consultants on-the-go you would find that it's really really (and really) convenient.

        + private and shared contacts

Yeah like this will ever be accurate or up-to-date. I worked for a big corporate once who had an _amazing_ LDAP infrastructure. You could build an Org chart from it. Implemented in OpenLDAP. Never seen a place with Exchange where there hasn't been something seriously wrong with the data.

At my current job we use LDAP quite extensively as well and it has worked for us. 100% open source environment.

        + home folders available for download only

Not quite sure what this is and I've never seen it implemented in the real world in Exchange.

MS is still iffy in this department.

I'm not directly defending Microsoft. I have used Linux since 1997 and would recommend it for most tasks but you have to admit that's it's not the solution for everything and everyone. I'm not even going to comment on Linux vs MS on this DET issue because I do not know their specific requirements and situation.

Carlo