On Sunday 17 December 2006 12:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> * On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 01:51:43PM +1100, Michael Kedzierski wrote:
> > >
> > >My understanding is that OpenVPN doesn't allow you to get a console on
> > >the remote machine (which I'd want for installing stuff).
> >
> > It's a VPN, which stands for Virtual Private Network. It places you
> > both on a network, like as if you were on the same LAN. So then you
> > could just SSH directly in, or do whatever.
>
> OK, that makes sense. Because of the double encryption (vpn + ssh),
> would speed/responsiveness be a problem? If so, I seem to remember
> there's an option in OpenVPN to force UDP. Or of course I could use
> telnet, and limit it using tcpwrappers to just the vpn ips.

In practice I see no difference in ssh to a site and vpn-ssh to the same site
waix ie local WA and ssh to my dad in the UK (bluddyel their botton end adsl
is 1.5MB, 20 quid/month), both from tigger (x86_64 3800), celeron 2.0 to
celeron 2.4 and a P4-3G.
I use SuSE and often use yast (curses) rather than yast2 (qt-x) for remote
admin but both work, x okish, curses good.
James