On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:16:04 +1100, Grant Parnell wrote:

> I've got a GA-965P-S3 motherboard with on-board JMicrcon controller. I've

Any motherboard with a 965 chipset is a bit of a bugger to get going ...

I've installed Ubuntu Edgy on a couple of different Intel 965
motherboards but I needed to build a custom installation CD to do it.
There are two problems:

1.  The PATA controller doesn't work unless "all-generic-ide" is passed
    on the kernel command line, but this option doesn't work if the
    driver is a module.  Solved by compiling the module in to the
    kernel.
2.  The e1000 network driver in the kernel doesn't support the new h/w.
    Solved by replacing the e1000 driver with the latest from sf.net.

A few days ago, Ubuntu released a kernel update which apparently
includes these fixes.  I've installed it on one Intel 965 motherboard
and it appears to work.  I haven't done a huge amount of testing but
both the PATA optical drive and the network are OK.

I've only found one live CD which boots and runs on the Intel 965
motherboards: grml (http://grml.org/).

> I actually wanted to install Centos 4.4 on it but had trouble getting it
> to find the install media - looks like the 'all-generic-ide' kernel option
> helps there (just tested that) but the install still locks up... trying

A few other options that I've seen suggested to deal with various
problems with 965 chipsets: pci=nommconf, acpi=off, irqpoll.  Zero or
more of those may work for you.

Cheers,

John
--
[Terminator 6] ... a robot is sent back in time to kill James Cameron and
Celine Dion.  The world becomes a much better place.