On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:01:11AM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Howard Lowndes wrote:
> >

> >Alex Samad wrote:

> >>why not add a log statement before
> >
> >I will do.  It's just that I would have expected tcpdump to have found it.
>
> I followed up on this suggestion and have identified where the IPIP
> traffic is coming from and it is sone of my client sites that I can
> access so I have put log statements into the iptables rules at both ends
> and bingo - there is the traffic - except that, even though I have the
> rule in the INPUT OUTPUT and FORWARD chains, it is only logging from the
> INPUT chain in all cases and is in both directions, from me to them and
> from them to me.  I have yet to identify what is running that could be
> generating this IPIP traffic, that is the next mystery because I gave up
> using IPIP tunnelling in favour of IPSec tunnelling a long time ago.

have you tried ip tu, I would presume if the ipip is terminating on your box
that is why you are not seeing it in FORWARD, not exactly sure about the OUTPUT
table

do you have an allow established, related at the top of your tables, all but
the initial packets will be captured here.

You could always block the traffic and see what breaks

alex