Voytek Eymont wrote:
> On Wed, December 27, 2006 12:55 am, Alexander Stanley wrote:
>
>> G'day guys,
>>

>> In terms of a web-gui you could employ "webmin" ( www.webmin.com
>> from memory ).  As for a GUI based tool I don't know any that
>> work too well.  I find manually doing iptables a few times a
>> month keeps you in practice :)
>
> thanks, Alex
>
> of course, I'll need to open port 10000 somewhow before I can use
> that...
>
> (but, yes, I think I'll install webmin anyhow)

G'day Voytek,

The port doesn't have to be port 10,000 actually.  On the note of
opening port 10,000 (or any port) for webmin, try something like this:

# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 10000 -j ACCEPT

Closing the port can be done with:

# iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 10000 -j ACCEPT

To run these commands you will need to ssh in (so PuTTy looks like a
good candidate).  I'd suggest you download the latest webmin tarball
and configure it to a non-standard port (12435 or something that
nobody else would think of it immediately) and/or configure it against
your own IP address so that only you can access webmin.  This can be
done with something like this:

# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 12435 -j ACCEPT

And again, closing is just changing the -A to -D

# iptables -D INPUT -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 12435 -j ACCEPT

I'm a little rusty on the whole thing, but that looks right to me
(others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Hoo Roo,
Alex.