On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 20:59 +1100, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> Adam Bogacki wrote:
> >> I'm using voip on my machine (Ekiga) and all is working fine. But I
> >> notice that when I've been playing music and then try to place a call, I
> >> get an error along the lines of "Could not open audio channel for audio
> >> reception".
> >
> > You need to set up a .asoundrc using dmix which allows multiple
> > applications.
> >
> > See
> > <http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Getting_several_applications_using_the_sound_card_at_the_same_time_%3F>
> >
> > I you don't have a '/home/user/.asoundrc' create one. Cut 'n paste ..
>
> Thanks Adam. Other people have recommended I use RhythmBox (because it
> uses ALSA). It's a bit clunky compared to xmms - any other ALSA music
> players people could recommend?

How about xmms? :)

Preferences->"Audio I/O Plugins" tab -> Output Plugin = ALSA.
Configure->Audio device= "default"

Uses Dmix happily here (even though dmix sucks in other ways, and we
need to replace it - but that's an issue for future distro releases :)

J.

--
Jan Schmidt [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The woman you buy -- and she is the least expensive -- takes a great
deal of money. The woman who gives herself takes all your time. - Balzac