All in all, if you have Ruby installed, you can always use the builtin
GUI for lsof.

Just run:

$ ruby -rtk -e 'r=TkRoot.new{title"LSOF
GUI"};t=TkText.new(r);t.pack;u=Thread.start{loop{t.value=`sudo
lsof`;sleep 2}};Tk.mainloop'

In a single line, of course.

Happy new year.

f/p

On 12/29/06, Penedo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/12/06, Matthew Hannigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Something based on inotify or similar must be around somewhere

That was exactly what I though when I read Bill's original question (after
all, Bill mentioned lsof) but it looks like Bill is interested in network
traffic and inotify only handles, well, i-nodes (i.e. things that can be
found on the file system hierarchy) and not network stuff.

Cheers,

--P

Julio C. Ody
http://rootshell.be/~julioody