<quote who="Erik de Castro Lopo">

>     (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
>     (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
>     (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
>     (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
>     (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

This suggests to me that you have the Free kernel driver (radeon) loaded
already, which the non-Free X driver can't talk to. Perhaps pop 'fglrx' in
/etc/modules to make sure it's loaded.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

    "Ever had a morning where you were not kissed and told 'I love you,'
       when the night before you SCREWED so wildly that you could not
        remember? GOOD MORNING!!!!" - Andre Hedrick, Linux ATA Dude