Have a look at the modules
in /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2849.fc6/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq.
One of these are bound to expose control of your cpu's speed
over /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/. cpuspeed, powernowd,
cpufreqd, etc all pretty much do the same thing in this sys folder to
control your cpu's speed given battery, AC, temperature, etc. states.

The cpufreq_ondemand, cpufreq_conservative, cpufreq_powersave are
frequency governors that set the cpu frequency between the
scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq values of this sys folder.

My guess for the Celeron would be the ACPI Processor P-States driver.
but if this doesn't work then one of the Intel speedstep drivers may
work.

If you get this working you could easily double the battery life of your
laptop and probably make it run quieter.