On 1/4/07, Ben Donohue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks DaZZa,

When I choose the www.sitewhatever.com.au address (not the internal
192.168.x.x) it goes to the ADSL modem. That's from internal.
Many places in websites these days running CMS or Blogging software
point the site back to the www.sitewhatever.com.au in its links rather
than localhost or 192.168.x.x.

So even from internal I need to get to the site just by putting in
whatever everyone else puts in to get to the site. So it's by the IP
address assigned to the modem after resolution by DNS.
I would have thought a browser would go out and then back in through the
ADSL but it does not.

(from outside the ADSL public IP address and port 80 gets NAT'd and
forwarded correctly to the internal webserver IP= 192.168.x.x (in a DMZ).
What does everyone else do?

You need to either.

1) Run a separate DNS zone for your internal network and define
www.sitewhatever.com.au to its 192.168.x.x address

or

2) Stick www.sitewhatever.com.au into a local hosts file on your
internal machines, pointing it to the 192.168.x.x address.

Personally, I'd do the latter, but that's because I'm lazy and
couldn't be bothered setting up an internal DNS.

I suspect the reason you get to the modem rather than the
www.sitewhatever.com.au address is because you're hitting the modem
from an internal address - you don't get the port forwarding which is
done by the firewall, which means you don't get to your actual web
server.

DaZZa