I wen't to linux.org/lessons and skipped straight to the ADSL section and did exactly what it said including the modification of resolv.conf
And everything worked as expected
Then when my intenet connection didn't work I checked all the system files I had modified including resolv.conf
It seems that some process in my OS has seen fit to change my resolv.conf file in such a way that it points to the gateway at 10.1.1.1 and not to the ISP Nameserver at 202.154.83.53 how can I stop the O/S (Fedora) from getting it's fingers on my resolv.conf file?
PS the same thing also happens in Mandriva but I run Fedora now