<quote who="Ken Wilson">

> Most SLUG questions and presentations are above my head. I felt like I
> had a no better than 20% chance of passing both exams beforehand [...]

SLUG questions (and, I guess, most presentations) tend to be very focused on
application or technology specific issues. It just happens that we have a
crowd of people who know about all kinds of things at varying depths. So if
you ask a question about GNOME, you'll get good answers from GNOME users on
the list, and usually an answer from me with a bit more depth or community
knowledge. Same for other technologies. FLOSS land is huuge these days. :-)

John's talk about VoIP was one of the more general 'General Talks' we've had
in a while, because it covered VoIP in general rather than an implementation
technology in particular (such as Asterisk).

> Most programming seems to be operating at a very inspired level, that I
> can barely even comprehend, despite being a very mathematical person at
> HSC level, but not taking it further.
>
> Have I just been cocooned in a high achieving workspace?

That's certainly true in this community. There's a lot of very uninspired
work outside it though (see dailywtf.com for reference points). The rise of
proprietary Web 2.0 development, inspired somewhat by Open Source processes
(or using FLOSS code), has created an inspiring playground in the non-Free
world... but most coders are maintaining line of business applications in
horrorshow environments. :-)

> Are the LPI 101 and 102 exams and LPIC-1 set lower than the stated
> position of entry level Linux administration skills and to extend
> themselves beyond being a user or help desk operator?

101 and 102 are the 'junior sysadmin' levels, but I've been impressed with
their broad and thorough scope.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

              Self-assertive pants are filled with confidence.