Hi Howard,

I agree with Andreas, Kino is quite good. I use Kino with some FFMPEG bits and pieces, as well as ZS4 (free, not open) and some other jiggery pokery :)

There are some cute bits you can do with Kino - you just have to think laterally sometimes :)

I've looked at Cinelerra... it's often seemed to crash and the interface feels like a dog's breakfast (it could just be me not having spent enough time with it, but...), where as I've found Kino reasonably simple to grasp and have not had a crash after using it for about 12 months.

Here's a short list of bits and pieces:

http://gopchop.org/index.php

http://www.zs4.net/free-software-downloads
(One of the fab things you can do with this is 'pan and zoom', commonly known as the 'ken burns effect')

http://diascope.sourceforge.net/index.php
(This app will also let you do 'pan and zoom' but without a GUI)

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/
I have managed to work out a few commands to do some cute things with FFMPEG.

If you're interested, e-mail me off post.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Patrick

   8. Re: Video editing software recommendations pse (Howard Lowndes)

Kino is a good program for grabbing the raw DV, and simple editing.
http://www.kinodv.org/

The only professional open source video editing program available that I
know of is Cinelerra, but unfortunately it's not available from many
repositories.  Ive used it before, and I liked it, but you might want to
read the tutorial before using it since the interface can be a bit
perplexing.
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
http://www.robfisher.net/video/cinelerra1.html

--