Heya Russell,
I've done a bit of work in this area before with Kennards Hire, and
some general research of available POS systems.

They developed a custom application in Java that sits on top of a Fedora
install. The app runs at all their branches nation wide and replicates
data back to a central location.

As far as the availability of the code, it belongs to Kennards and I
don't think they're going to release it any time soon. :-)

I've heard that Creative Computing[0] make excellent POS software.
Bearnie is the guy to talk to there.

POS software is not an itch most programmers want to scratch, so you're
not going to find too many projects out there. :-)

Muli[1] make business management software, which sort of isn't what you're
asking about, but you might find it interesting nonetheless.

In terms of FOSS POS solutions, there's not too much available, however
PHP Point Of Sale[2] is suppose to be quite reasonable.

Most (all?) of the FOSS POS projects out there are focused on a
particular industry or business style, but with a bit of time and effort
you can adapt what's out there to your needs.

Hope this helps!
Lindsay

[0] http://www.creativecomputing.com.au/
[1] http://www.muli.com.au/