<quote who="Peter Miller">

> Ubuntu NetworkManager: Wow!  I don't recall the last time I saw a more
> useless manual page, and the web site linked to the About box it just as
> useless.  Not a single mention of how it works, what it does, what files
> it consults.  The "Just Works" goal is laudable, but when it consistently
> gives the same wrong answer ("no networks available") it would be nice to
> have a teensy weensy *hint* on how to fix it.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on how /usr/sbin/NetworkManager comes to its
> conclusions?  Or how to configure NetworkManager to come to the *right*
> conclusions?
>
> "strings /usr/sbin/NetworkManager" was interesting, but not sufficient.  I
> suppose I could use the source, luke, but a mud map would help, before I
> go wandering off in unknown territory.

It's pretty early stage software, fighting a tough battle with no standards
on the kernel side and even less on the hardware side.

What kind of wifi hardware do you have?

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

  "If you want to start a debate on a subject, however, all that seems to
     be necessary is to involve perennial target Richard Gooch." - LWN