On 09/03/2007, at 5:08 PM, James Purser wrote:

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 16:35 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

"You know, the crunchy, folk-singer part of me wants to believe that a performance is a dialogue, but I can't hear a BEEPing thing you're
                          saying." - Ani DiFranco

I just received a "your message has been blocked due to PROFANITY" email in
response to this.

At which point did we become litigious enough in this country to require or suggest that an employer protect their staff from normal communication with
the outside world? Coddlers.

- Jeff

Welcome to the corporate world. Most corp mail servers have blockers in
place for obscene emails in part to help stop virus attacks but mainly
to stop people being offended by ill written emails either going in, out
or around.

Trust me, the corporate world is paranoid about appearing to be cracking
down on offensive and *ist communications.

Part of this is to protect an image. Regardless of the original author, it's better not to have a potentially offensive email floating around with your company domain stamped on it. Offensive content should not form part of a normal business communication. If this is the standard expected of employees, it's reasonable for employers to provide some level of protection (however naive).